Give way rules to remember
- Give way to the right and stay to the right.
- If a power-driven vessel approaches on your port (left) side, you have right-of-way. Maintain your speed and course, with caution. If it becomes obvious that the other vessel is not going to give way, then you should take the necessary steps
- to avoid a collision. Unless there's no alternative, don't turn to port to avoid a collision if you have right-of-way, you might cause a collision trying to avoid one.
- If a power-driven vessel approaches on your starboard (right) side, they have right-of-way. Stop, slow down or alter course to keep out of their way.
- If any vessel approaches your stern, maintain your speed and course and proceed with caution so they can overtake you safely.
- Power-driven vessels must give-way to sailing vessels at all times unless they are under power or overtaking you.