Terms and Conditions
National Maritime College (NMC) is committed to delivering the highest quality boat training. The terms and conditions detailed below are designed to ensure we provide all our prospective customers with accurate information. These general terms and conditions form an agreement between NMC and the participant/client regarding our booking terms, conditions, policies and safety guidelines. Submitting an enrolment/booking/order form and attendance at a NMC course or program is considered to be acceptance of these terms.
Enrolment and Bookings
- Payment - Students are only enrolled in courses or programs offered by the College when fees have been paid in advance of a scheduled training date or if an enrolment deposit has been paid.Some courses/programs may require a non-refundable booking/enrolment deposit. The booking deposit is 25% of the course/program fees.Course/program fees must be paid in full prior to course commencement. For private courses, we require a full payment upfront. (charging for a minimum of 10 participants) Organisers will be able to add additional participants up to the training date and will be provided for the additional participants. Bookings/Enrolments are generally processed online utilising the College online payment and confirmation system. Payment can be made online by credit card (Visa and MasterCard) or via internet to our bank account. Cash payments are not normally accepted but can be discussed by contacting NMC. Bookings/Enrolments are also accepted via telephone by calling 1300 723 112.
- Course cancellation - NMC reserves the right to change/cancel and/or re-schedule a program, venue location, dates and times where insufficient enrolments have been confirmed, or if required for other legitimate reasons. Every effort is made, and all alternatives exhausted to avoid this. Should this situation occur changes will be posted to the website and if paticipants are affected they will be notified immediately.
- Most trainer-led courses require a minimum of 5-6 attendees in order to proceed.
- Please ensure that you read the enrolment/confirmation email carefully. We send this to you on completion of the online booking and payment process. It contains information you'll need for the training session.It is important that you advise us if you do not receive your enrolment confirmation email. If you have not received an email, you may need to check your spam or junk folders.
- If you book/enrol on a specially priced course, and decide to reschedule to another date or location which is not offered at the special price, you may be required to pay the difference in enrolment fees.
- If you are booking/enrolling two or more on a course and a member of your group wishes to attend on another day, we can usually accommodate this. However, the group booking discount may no longer apply and additional charges may be applicable.
- Students will require the following LLN (Language, Literacy and Numeracy) skills in order to complete boat training:
- Read information from a PowerPoint presentation and/or whiteboard.
- Listen and understand verbal information delivered by an English speaking trainer.
- Read and answer a multiple choice question paper in English.
- Listen to instructions from the Trainer during on water practical training delivered in English.
If you have any LLN concerns please contact NMC so we can discuss your needs and make arrangements for appropriate support. Additional fees apply.
- Online course fees are payable in full, at the time of enrolment/booking, upon which the course login will be supplied.
NMC reserves the right to change prices without prior notice. All prices include Goods and Service Tax (GST) at the current rate of 10% in Australia.
12 - 15 year old's completing boat training
- A parent or legal guardian is required to accompany a young person to the course and consent to the young adult completing the training by signing the NMC's guardian declaration form. The parent or legal guardian may then opt to leave the them in the care of the Trainer. All trainers with NMC are required to complete working with children checks.
- Parent/Guardians must make arrangements for the picking up times with the trainer prior to leaving the training venue. All duty of care is taken by the Trainer and NMC to ensure their safety and security.
Parent/Guardians are responsible for ensuring that their Young Adult/s act responsibly, are attentive and abide by instructions given during training.
- If a young person has any concerns he/she should raise them immediately with the Trainer.
- Parent/Guardian must inform the trainer of any health, physical or learning disability which may impact on the training of the young person prior to commencement of the training.
- Special conditions may apply to certain courses and programs. If special conditions apply they will be detailed within the course/program information and the enrolment confirmation details.
- Trainer Authority - Decisions made by Trainer in respect of course assessment, venue safety or attendance conduct are final. Student's have the right to dispute a Trainer's decision and can submit a complaint or issue via the feedback section or, by contacting us on 1300 723 112.
- Smoking is not permitted on NMC training vessels or within shore-based venues.
- Recreational drugs of any kind are strictly forbidden onboard any training vessel or at any venue used by the College. If found, or suspected, the client will be asked to immediately leave the course/program and no monies will be refunded.
- The consumption of alcohol is not permitted during class times or when practical training is underway.
- Due to the practical nature of maritime training and assessment and the licensing documentation requirements participants may experience some delays during the course delivery.
- Student negligence - If irresponsible or negligent behaviour of a student leads to damage or loss of any item of College or vessel property, the student is responsible for replacement or repair. Students are requested to act with a duty of care and respect for College property and the training vessel. Damages and breakages, howsoever caused, must immediately be notified to the Trainer or to the Training Director.
- Photographic/video permission - photos or videos maybe taken by our trainers during a course/program. This media may be used on social media platforms,website or marketing material mentioning National Maritime College's name. If you are not willing to be in any training photographs or videos you can advise the trainer or the College to have your consent withdrawn. Students/Clients can also withdraw their permission on the course/program enrolment form.
- Participants are warned before going out in the boat that any variance from trainer instructions, negligence, unsafe or dangerous practice on the training vessel may immediately end the session with the course fees forfeited.
- Participants are required to listen to the directions of the Trainer or staff at all times and during safety briefs, taking particular care at a wharf, boat ramp,pontoon or when boarding or disembarking from a training vessel. Strict footwear guidelines apply.
- First aid supplies and support are available. Any injury sustained on the College vessel or at a training venue should be reported to the Trainer and NMC immediately.
- Vessel breakdown - Even with a continual maintenance regime, the vessel may at times breakdown. Often the trainer can fix the problem 'on the spot' or make arrangements for the use of another vessel. If not, practical training will be rescheduled by NMC at a time suitable for both parties. Refunds are not available, only rescheduled training times.
- Obligation to render assistance. From time-to-time a situation may occur requiring the Trainer to render assistance to another vessel in need during a practical training session. Should this situation arise students must obey the instructions of the Trainer.
Weather conditions - If the trainer feels for safety reasons that practical training should not proceed the training will be moved to a shore-based alternative (if applicable) or rescheduled to another date which is both suitable for NMC and the participants affected.
Trainer Authority - Safety of the participants and training vessels are a priority. Decisions made by the Trainer are final in respect of vessel safety, well being of the passengers/crew and progress of the course. Decisions regarding continuance of practical training in adverse weather conditions will be made by the trainer on the day.
Refunds and transfers
Notifications of cancellations or requests for a course transfer must be made to National Maritime College prior to your anticipated course date. We understand that the unexpected can happen, and we will do our best to find an alternative course date for you to attend!
- NMC does not offer refunds on course enrolments for change of mind. Refunds may be considered on a case-by-case basis. NMC reserves the right to apply a refund administration fee of no more than $35.00 to cover accounting and related administration costs.
- Students must provide at least two (2) days notice if they do not intend to attend a course, or would like to transfer to another course and should they fail to give such notice they are liable for the full course fee. No refund will be made to the student who cancels or withdraws from the training without providing 2 days notice unless there are valid reasons based on compassionate situations such as accidents, sickness and bereavement. In the event that you cannot attend the course, and you provide at least 2 days notice your booking/enrolment and payment is transferable to another date (up to three transfers). If a participant wishes to transfer the course date for a fourth time, they are required to pay the full course enrolment fee.
- For courses/programs where a booking/enrolment deposit is required,if more than eight weeks notice of cancellation is provided, the non-refundable booking deposit may be transferred to a later course or transferred to another student. If a booking is cancelled less than eight weeks prior to the course commencement date, the deposit is non-refundable but may be applied to a future course at the discretion of NMC if the future course is within two months of the cancellation. If a booking is cancelled within four weeks of the course start date, and NMC is unable to re-sell the place on the course, the deposit is both non-refundable and non-transferable.
- Refunds for private training sessions are not generally available however, payment is transferable to another date or location providing advice is given at least seven (7) days before the scheduled training or forfeit may occur.
- Refunds are not available once the course has commenced, though the course can be completed at a later date if required.
- NMC reserves the right to fully claim any fees paid if a participant gives incomplete or false information during enrolment, if a participant's enrolment has to be cancelled because of disciplinary reasons, or if a pparticipant leaves the training without notice.
- Participants who do not attend, or are late for their scheduled course, will forfeit all payments.
Privacy and security
Complaints and assessment appeals
Every participant has the right of appeal, to make a complaint or request an assessment appeal. If an unpleasant experience is encountered during your training and you feel comfortable, discuss it with the trainer or, call NMC on 1300 723 112 and request to talk with the Managing Director. If you are not satisfied with the result you can also lodge a complaint with the State Fair Trading Office or your State Maritime Authority if applicable. Complaint forms are available to download on our website.
Enrolment in boat training requires participants to provide details on any learning or physical difficulties which may impact on their training outcomes. This may include any language, literacy or numeracy issues. If you believe that you require any educational support, please speak with us prior to training. If this information is not disclosed prior to your course, we may ask you to reschedule at a time where further support may be provided.
- Participants may have access to their records on application to NMC. This usually happens where a certificate is lost. An administrative charge of $30 will be made for providing copies of their records - regardless of how many pages of information that amounts to at any one request.
- Workplace Health and Safety - Students are required to listen to directions from staff and trainers and to take special care in and around training vessels.
Upon booking and enrolment you will be asked to declare any health issues that may affect your suitability for participating in a practical course. NMC accepts no responsibility for the decision of the physical fitness of the client/student to participate in a course or program. If a student has any medical problems, it is their responsibility to check with their GP that it is acceptable for them to join the course.
Own boat training
The owner is considered to be the 'Skipper' of the vessel at all times and is responsible for the vessel, the provisioning and fuel and for ensuring the vessel is fully insured, sea worthy and that the required safety equipment is onboard. If any accidents occur onboard during training the claim is to be made against the insurance of the vessel. NMC and its trainers, shall not be liable for any incidents or accidents onboard. The owner should notify their insurance company that there will be a qualified maritime trainer onboard delivering tuition but the owner remains the Skipper at all times. It is also agreed that the owners insurance is fully comprehensive and covers all aspects of normal marine insurance for the area in which the Skipper is expecting to operate. The client will be asked to sign a disclaimer before the training can commence.
Vessel delivery services
- A 50% deposit (non-refundable inside 14 days) is required at the time of booking.
- Minimum crew per delivery is Skipper plus one experienced crew member.
- Provisions, fuel and flights are additional items and are to be paid for by the vessel owner.
- At the end of the delivery the balance must be paid immediately on receipt of invoice.
- Vessel delivery bookings are subject to a vessel pre-departure seaworthy and equipment inspection.
- Adverse weather - NMC will endeavour to get the vessel delivered to the estimated timetable. However NMC reserves the right to delay due to adverse weather conditions. The safety of crew and vessel are a priority.
- Should an unforeseeable circumstance arise which prevents the fulfillment of the delivery contract NMC reserves the right to cancel/curtail the delivery service. Where such circumstances occur NMC will not be liable to pay refunds or compensation.
Intellectual Property (Site)
© NSW Boating College Pty Ltd, trading as National Maritime College (NMC). All rights reserved.
You acknowledge and agree that all content, coding, graphics, and Information available on this Site is protected by copyright, trade mark or other intellectual property rights and laws and remains the property of the National Maritime College or partners as the case may be. No part of the information may be copied, reproduced, modified, republished, uploaded, posted, transmitted or distributed in any form or manner without the NMC’s prior written consent. This also applies to complete course materials, or any part of them. All trade marks and trade names which appear on this Site are proprietary to NMC and/or its partners. Use of these trade marks without the owner’s consent will infringe the owner’s intellectual property rights. Nothing in this Site should be interpreted as granting any rights to use or distribute any names, logos or trade marks except with the express written consent of the respective owner.
NMC takes responsibility for investigating any claims of IP infringement. Should you have any questions, claims or complaints surrounding potential IP infringement by NMC, individuals, groups or companies interacting with the Services, you can notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Other terms and conditions
Please abide by these basic rules:
- Use appropriate language
- Be respectful and supportive of others by only providing constructive criticism
- Do not send any message or post information which is harassing, defamatory, threatening, abusive, illegal or obscene
- Do no post content that is spam or contains links to irrelevant or third party websites
- Do not violate copyright or other forms of licenses and consents
- Take reasonable precautions to prevent others from using your access details to the College Online learning portal.
- Adhere to privacy guidelines and NMC policies and guidelines.
The opinions expressed by the contributors and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the policies, regulations, or opinions of NMC or any employee thereof. NMC is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the contributors.
- By entering into one of our competitions or prize draws, you agree and accept the terms and conditions of the relevant competition or prize draw.
- Only one entry per person is permitted for each competition or prize draw unless otherwise stated in the terms and conditions of the relevant competition or prize draw.
- Our competitions and prize draws are open to all residents in Australia over the age of 18, unless stated otherwise in the terms and conditions of the relevant competition or prize draw, but is closed to any employees, partner employees (and members of their families and households) of the National Maritime College (NMC), its associated companies and of any co-promoters, competition or prize draw sponsors, prize providers and any of their associated companies.
- By entering into a competition or prize draw, you agree that your name and general place of residence may be made public if you win and if the relevant competition or prize draw includes submitting any images, photographs or footage that these may be used for any purpose by NMC) and/or its associated companies and/or any co-promoters, competition or prize draw sponsors, prize providers and any of their associated companies.
- Details of how entrants may compete or be chosen to win can be found in the terms and conditions of the relevant competition or prize draw.
- The prize must be taken as offered. No cash equivalent or other alternative prizes are available.
- The prize is non-transferable. We or the relevant prize provider as applicable reserve the right to substitute the prize of an equivalent value should the prize or any part of the prize become unavailable for any reason.
- If the winner cannot be contacted or is not able to accept the prize within 2 months of the relevant competition or prize draw's closing date, then we reserve the right to award the prize to another participant.
- We reserve the right to amend these rules at any time, or to cancel, alter or amend the competition or prize draw at any stage should it be necessary.
By entering into a competition or prize draw, you agree that any personal information you supply may be used by us in accordance with our Privacy and Data Protection Policy as at the date of your entry.
NMC holds and maintains industry required insurance policies. However, it is an individual's responsibility to seek and obtain suitable insurance to protect their own interests and risks.