Berthing and close quarter manoeuvring
|Hold a current general boat licence.
|| Your berth, your vessel (sail or power) marina or mooring at a time and date of your choice.
|Duration:||Three hours on board your vessel.
|Delivery:|| Trainer-led on water practical session
||Be able to converse in English and advise of any health condition, eyesight, hearing, learning of physical disability which may compromise training.|
This training is designed for Skippers to learn the basic steps of departing and berthing at a marina. For many the challenges that handling a vessel in close proximity to other vessels can create a degree of stress and concern. Spending time just focusing on handling your vessel when berthing at a marina, mooring or, docking alongside a wharf, is time well spent, irrespective of how long you have been boating.
- We operate an easy-to-use online booking system. You can also call 1300 723 112 to book over the phone.
- Review our main marina training locations on the Gold Coast.
Our trainers will also travel to you anywhere in Australia. Depending
on the location additional travel and accommodation charges may apply.
- Call us on 1300 723 112 or email to confirm your preferred date of training, location and time. NOTE: Timings are subject to trainer availability.
- Review our terms and conditions before confirming your training date, location and time with us.
Swipe left when using the booking form
|Berthing and close quarter manoeuvring||3 hours with qualified Master trainer. Date and location by arrangement||Call 1300 723 112 to book a date, time and location||$375.00||Enrol|
Power or sail our experienced maritime trainers can help you to
better understand how your vessel responds in close quarter situations
so that you gain more enjoyment and confidence in your boating.
What you will learn
- Line and fender preparations.
- Pre-departure checks.
- Engine controls, engine checks, twin disc express joystick system and bow thrusters.
- Close quarter manoeuvring.
- Assessing current strength and wind direction.
- Practice berthing procedures - departing and returning.
- Mooring and anchoring.
Training aboard your vessel is subject to the trainer being happy you have met the following requirements:
- Current boat licence holder.
- Boat owner contact and registration details provided.
- Vessel is seaworthy and equipped with regulation safety equipment according to the size of your vessel.
- Have current fully comprehensive insurance for the vessel.
- Agree to sign the College indemnity.
An additional travel allowance charge may apply depending on how far the trainer is required to travel to get to your vessel's location.
All trainers undertaking private training on behalf of the National Maritime College are required to hold a current Coxswain, Master or Yacht Master qualification. Only our most Senior Trainers with commercial experience conduct training for clients with large cruisers and sailing vessels.
Definitely. Safety is a large part of what we are about. Feeling safe and knowledgeable makes boating a million times more enjoyable for you, your family and friends. Our courses include an emphasis on instilling confidence and learning practical boat handling and seamanship skills - docking, anchoring, navigation, engine maintenance, on board systems, overboard recovery, provisioning, crew briefing and most importantly how to be a good Skipper. What happens when the engine breaks down, or there's an emergency on board? It's the SKIPPERS job to plan for every eventuality, however unpleasant.
No one is born knowing about boats. Boating is learned over time and in varying conditions. You don't think twice about taking golf or tennis lessons from pros. The difference between these activities and boating is the element of personal safety involved. Professional training gives people the skills and information they would not be able to acquire from hands-on experience alone. People with formal training have a deeper depth of knowledge and confidence,allowing them to make better informed decisions for keeping passengers, crew and their vessel safe As you increase your proficiency, your confidence will increase. We'll help you to overcome your boating anxieties (don't worry, you are not alone in having them). Learning the 'why' of what you are doing as well as the 'how to' gives a more complete understanding of boating.
Clients will be issued with
a Completion Report at the end of the training detailing what they have
done with information covering the activities completed. Based on your
requirements we can also work with you to design a plan
for further training which focuses on specific practices you need to
consolidate your confidence and experience.
Sydney region marina locations
- D'Albora Marina - Akuna Bay
- D'Albora Marina - Cabrita Point
- D'Albora Marina - The Spit
- D'Albora Marina - Rushcutters Bay
- Homeport Marina - Church Point, Pittwater
- The Anchorage - Pittwater
- Gladesville Marina - Drummoyne
- Birkenhead Marina - Drummoyne
- Roseville Marina - Middle Harbour
- Bobbin Head Marina - Bobbin head Broken Bay
- The Anchorage - Pittwater
- St George Motor Boat Club Sans Souci
- Rose Bay Marina - Rose Bay
- Double Bay Marina - Double Bay
- Royal Motor Yacht Club Newport Marina - Pittwater
Our trainers will also travel to your private jetty or mooring anywhere in Australia
Gold Coast region marinas
- Boatworks Marina - Coomera
- Gold Coast City Marina
- Sanctuary Cove Marina
- Runaway Bay Marina
- Hope Harbour Marina
- Gold Coast City Marina
- Palazzo Versace Marina (private 5 star marina)
- Mariners Cove Marina - South Port
Our trainers will also travel to your private jetty or mooring anywhere in Australia.